Do you have a skin care routine? You know, if I'm honest, it's something I avoided. Well, not that I actively avoided one, I just never took the time to establish a routine - I would just take a shower to get clean and go to bed because I was tired - the end. ha!
I've learned as I've gotten older that skin care is important! Not just facial skin care, but the skin all over our body. It is our largest organ that protects us, so we need to take care of it everywhere!
Dry skin can cause flakiness, itching and even painful cracks. With just a few minutes of attention a day, using products your skin loves, it can be healthy, supple and nourished protecting you at it's optimal performance!
Here are a few of my tips for taking care of this precious organ:
- Use more clean products to clean - the closer to natural ingredients you get, the more your skin loves it. Handcrafted soap is a great foundation to cleaning your body!
- Use a body lotion daily - After showering, your skin is most ready to receive and absorb moisture. Using a lotion made with skin loving oils will bring hydration and a silky smooth feel to the touch. Perfection!
- Wash your face nightly - Removing makeup and the day's oils and grime is important to avoid clogging pores. Honestly, you don't need to spend hundreds of dollars on "specialty" facial cleansers - I've had great success using bar soap and a cotton washcloth for exfoliation. Really! My skin has never been so happy (and I've tried a lot of facial cleansers $$$). I follow up with an oil mixture of 1 part Evening Primrose and 1 part Argan oils. I use about 2 - 3 drops of this oil and mix onto my face with water left behind from cleansing. Seriously the happiest my face has ever been.
- Scrub your skin - Use a nice sugary scrub and rub it on your skin now and then to exfoliate and polish your body (avoid scrubs on your face though!). It gets the dry skin off and leaves skin feeling smooth and amazing. I make an emulsified scrub so that it actually turns into a lotion as you use it - eliminates the greasies! Now, it's easy to overuse sugar scrubs, so take care to use them once in a while to avoid actually causing damage. I recommend polishing no more than once a week.
- Take a bath now and then - Using bath additives is a great way to provide additional hydration and sometimes nutrients to your body. I use avocado oil in my bath bombs and include an emulsifier - meaning it will actually mix with the bath water instead of sit on top. This means that everything that's IN the water will get moisturized by the avocado oil - and avocado is one of the most skin loving oils out there! My customers love these bombs - I do too.
There you have it! If you do these things regularly, your skin will be in the best shape it's ever been in taking care of you and it will feel AMAZING!